Town of Pittsford Select Board Meeting January 18, 2017
The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas Hooker, Vice Chairman.
Select Board members present: Jane Cornell, Thomas Hooker and W. Joseph Gagnon. ABSENT: Thomas “Hank” Pelkey and David Trombley. Also present: John Haverstock, and Kelly Giard – Recording Secretary.
T. Hooker indicated that there was a need for Executive Session for 2 personnel issues – 1 to discuss the Town Bookkeeper transition and 1 to discuss Town Report. Motion by J. Cornell and seconded by J. Gagnon enter into Executive Session for personnel. Motion passed unanimously 3 – 0.
Motion by J. Cornell and seconded by J. Gagnon to adopt the agenda as posted. Motion passed unanimously 3 – 0.
The Select Board minutes from the January 4, 2017 meeting were signed, with no corrections.
The orders in the amount $2,881,569.95 and $11,185.11 (Payroll) were approved with no discussion.
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT
J. Haverstock reported on the following:
· There was a preliminary planning meeting for Pittsford Day. The proposed date is August 12 in the area of the Fire Station. Satin & Steel has been reserved due to a generous donation by OMYA; the tents, tables and chairs have been reserved; the Library and Historical Society will be assisting with activities. There will be more details to come.
· The Winter issue of the Newsletter will be going to the printer in the next few days.
· There will be a staff meeting on January 19 at 9:00 AM. The members of the Select Board are invited to attend.
· The solar credits have been reviewed and the non-street light bills have indeed seen 20% savings as promised. The Village tax rate will be lowered as a result of savings from installation of LED fixtures.
· The Town Report dedication ceremony will occur on February 21 at 9:00 AM at the Lothrop School Gym.
· Rep. Shaw and Sen. Flory have been invited to attend a meeting in February to address the Select Board on the 2017 legislative session.
· Final grant funds have been received for the box culvert project. The State’s grant check has been received for the Veteran’s Memorial project. The Police Department has received the speed cart.
· Shawn Erickson will be attending the February 1 meeting to discuss the possibility of purchasing a new skid steer for the Highway Department.
· The Route 7 bridge replacement project has been delayed for at least 1 year.
· The audit report is expected soon and the auditors will be attending a future meeting to discuss the report and its findings.
· The Town Manager will be out of the office January 27, 30 and 31
T. Hooker inquired how the speed cart would be transported. J. Haverstock will discuss this with Chief Warfle.
None presented at this time.
Presentation of Fifth Draft of FY 2017 – 2018 Municipal Budgets:
J. Haverstock presented the fifth draft of the budget draft.
Adoption of Budgets:
The General Fund tax increase is 5.95%; Highway Fund tax increase is 5.70%, with an overall tax increase of 5.85%.
Motion by J. Cornell and seconded by J. Gagnon to accept the budgets as proposed (General Fund – $1,471,178.00; Highway Fund – $1,220,585.00; Village – $17,000). Motion passed unanimously 3 – 0.
Review and Approval of Town Warning:
A copy of the proposed Town Warning was included in the packets for review. Motion by J. Gagnon and seconded by J. Cornell to adopt the Town Warning as presented.
Motion passed unanimously 3-0.
Approval Plan to Advertise for Sale the Parcel of Land Formerly Owned by the Estate of Emma G. Nauman:
J. Haverstock reported that this parcel was purchased by the Town at tax sale a year ago and there was no redemption by the property owners. This parcel is .43 acres located on Whipple Hollow Road. The proposed advertisement was included in the packets for review. The abutting landowners will also be contacted. The members agreed by consensus to advertise as stated.
Review Preparations for Town Meeting:
The Select Board will meet prior to the meeting. J. Haverstock stated that the Lothrop School Gym has been reserved; Jim Carvey will serve as Moderator and will be attending a workshop in Montpelier prior to the meeting; there will be no formal presentation by the School as they will be holding their discussions on March 1 at OVUHS; the Boy Scouts will be contacted to present colors and lead the Pledge of Allegiance.
Execute Certification of Highway Mileage:
J. Haverstock explained that this is an annual State Aid exercise. The current certificate notes the removal of Channing Lane (0.13 miles) from Class 4 status. The next certificate will include the change of 0.42 mile on Old Hubbardton Road being re-classified from Class 4 to Class 3.
Certification signed by the members.
Review Highway Access Right of Way Permit Application:
A request was received by Ed and Dottie Wheeler on a parcel off Sangamon Road. Shawn Erickson has inspected the area and approved the application with no conditions.
Motion by J. Gagnon and seconded by J. Cornell to approve the request. Motion passed unanimously 3 – 0.
The Select Board recessed at 6:59 PM and convened as the Liquor Board.
The Select Board reconvened at 7:03 PM.
J. Cornell made a motion and seconded by J. Gagnon to go into Executive Session for personnel to discuss the Town Bookkeeper transition and the Town Report where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town, and may be jeopardized by public disclosure.
In accordance with 1 VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of personnel at 7:03 PM. The Town Manager Haverstock was invited to remain for Executive Session.
The Select Board exited Executive Session at 7:17 PM, with no action taken.
The meeting adjourned at 7:17 PM.
The next regular meeting of the Select Board will be held on February 1, 2017.
Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary
Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman
Thomas Hooker, Vice Chairman
Jane Cornell, Selectman
W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman
David Trombley, Selectman