Town of Pittsford
Select Board Meeting
August 15, 2012
The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.
Select Board members present: Joseph Gagnon, Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Thomas Hooker. Allen Hitchcock, and Jane Cornell.
Also present: Emerson Frost, Jocelyn Frost, Ferne Faivre, Vanessa Mills-Holmquist, John Hays, Chris Beitzel, Hilary Beitzel, Ann Rademacher, Bev Peterson, James Stewart (OMYA), Jill Christiana, Hilary Redman (6:47 PM), John Haverstock and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary
The Select Board minutes from the August 1, 2012 meeting were signed with no corrections.
The orders in the amount of $783.90 (General Fund FY ’12); $280,859.31 (General Fund FY ‘13) and $13,049.63 (Payroll) were approved, with the following discussion:
A. Hitchcock inquired about the expense to the Town of Chittenden. J. Haverstock indicated that this was for the land tax for the Town forest and water source.
J. Gagnon inquired about the expense to Accuvote. J. Haverstock indicated that this expense was for the ballot machines for elections.
J Gagnon inquired about the expense for a window for a highway truck. J. Haverstock indicated that this was for the replacement window that was broken by the arm mower.
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT
J. Haverstock reported on the following:
- There is approximately $30,000 remaining in the water project budget. This amount will be used for the paving of Mechanic Street and the purchase of additional meter assemblies.
- Arch and Pleasant Streets paving preparation work has begun. The base coat for Arch and Pleasant Streets will be laid on August 27 and 28 and the surfacing of Arch, Pleasant, Mechanic and Cross will take place the following week. A letter has been sent to the neighbors.
- Mike Smith is working with Jim Plouffe concerning the proposed projects for the remaining sewer funding money.
- Shoulder work is complete on Depot Hill, with paving in late August.
- The Truck Route will also be paved in late August.
- The parties involved in a recent dog incident would like to attend a future meeting for a discussion with the Select Board. These individuals have been invited to attend the September 5, 2012 meeting.
- J. Haverstock attended a meeting with Rep. Shaw and the Agency of Natural Resources for the discussion of State loan fund administrative procedures for well-drilling loans.
- The Agency of Natural Resources has confirmed that the outer district customers of Proctor water that will be disconnected from Proctor water service are terminating their service “involuntarily”. Therefore, they will all be eligible for the loan funding.
- Quotes are coming for the carpet replacement at the Town Office and will be discussed at a future meeting.
- There will be a staff meeting on August 16 at 9:00 AM and the members of the Select Board are invited to attend.
- OMYA has named a new plant manager – Jim Stewart will be replacing Pierre Massuy at VERPOL.
Vanessa Mills-Holmquist inquired if there had been any communication with Reunion Power. J. Haverstock indicated that he has only had 1 brief e-mail communication following the Public Informational Meeting and the other members of the Select Board indicated that they have not had any communications. Ms. Mills-Holmquist read a letter from Derek Saari dated July 23, 2012.
Bev Peterson requested that the Town of Pittsford deny permission for Reunion Power to construct a “met” tower at the proposed site.
Redman, Beitzel and Beitzel exited at 6:48 PM.
Approval of Listers’ Errors and Omissions:
J. Haverstock reported that the Listers submitted a request for Select Board approval of Errors & Omissions on July 30 via memo. The request includes:
- Parcel ID #1444 from $315,200 to $307,200 = a change of $8,000 in the owner’s favor
- Parcel ID # 0169 from $112,400 to $64,200 = a change of $48,200 in the owner’s favor. This change was due to the property being purchased in 2011 and buildings removed prior to April 1.
Motion by A. Hitchcock and seconded by T. Hooker to approve as presented. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
Execute USDA Loan/Grant Documents for Water System Expansion Project:
J. Haverstock reported that these grant and loan agreement documents are for the $260,000 water expansion project. Motion by A. Hitchcock and seconded by T. Hooker to authorize the Chairman (T. Pelkey) to sign the documents. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
Remarks from New OMYA Plant Manager:
James Stewart, new Plant Manager at OMYA was present to describe his background and give the members of the Select Board an overview of operations at the facility.
Mr. Stewart exited at 7:03 PM.
Mr. Hays exited at 7:04 PM.
Excavation at the Fire Station and Highway Garage:
J. Haverstock reported that there has been some water infiltration damage found along the foundation of the Fire Station on Pleasant Street. This was found due to the apron work that is now being done by sewer project contractor, Belden. T. Hooker and T. Pelkey have examined the site. T. Hooker reported that the foundation will need to be “shored up” and that there was some slipping at the bay door area. J. Haverstock reported that this is considered an emergency repair. Therefore, bids were not sought. Dick Reed and Son will begin work on Friday, August 17 and will charge for time and materials.
Other New Business:
J. Haverstock reported hat a Municipal Impact Survey has been received regarding the proposed Gecha project on Route 7. This survey will be returned stating that the proposed project will have no undue adverse impacts on Town services.
The Select Board recessed at 7:06 PM to convene as the Liquor Board.
The minutes from the Liquor Board meeting of August 1, 2012 were signed, with no corrections.
The Select Board reconvened at 7:07 PM.
BUDGET STATUS UPDATE:
J. Haverstock reported that the General Fund revenues for FY ‘12 are at 102.37% of budget; General Fund expenses are 96.64% of budget with an overall General Fund surplus of approximately $70,000 for FY ‘12. The Highway Fund revenues are at 108.99% of budget; Highway Fund expenses are 106.48% of budget with an overall Highway Fund surplus of approximately $24,000 for FY ‘12.
J. Haverstock reported that there are Contractual, Legal and Personnel Issues to be discussed in Executive Session.
T. Hooker made a motion and seconded by A. Hitchcock to go into Executive Session for contractual, personnel and legal issues where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town at 7:10 PM. The motion was passed unanimously 5 – 0. J. Haverstock and K. Giard were invited to stay for Executive Session.
In accordance with 1VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of contractual, personnel and legal at 7:10 PM.
K. Giard exited Executive Session at 7:22 PM.
The Select Board exited Executive Session at 7:35 PM, with no action taken.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:35 PM.
The next meeting will be held on September 5, 2012.
Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary
Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman
Allen Hitchcock, Vice Chairman
W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman
Jane Cornell, Selectman
Thomas Hooker, Selectman